Download Games

Possession by Elana Johnson

Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.

From Goodreads

So, I couldn't really sum up this book very well, so I just used the summary from Goodreads. I never really got into this story. I read it, but only just to see what happened at the end. I was not a fan of the writing & the characters' actions & behaviors were quite foreseeable. It was a very cookie-cutter style futuristic, sci-fi piece that felt like a flop to me. I never became enamored with the characters & didn't find myself desperate to find out their outcome.

Vi was a decent enough character, a typical rebellious teen, with some side issues that cause her to scrutinize everything for the hidden meaning. Jag had more depth than I expected from his role, but still nothing compelling. I think the best thing he had going for him was the fact that the socio-economy/geographic populace he represents is completely misunderstood & being taken advantage of.

I think the most aggravating thing about this book was that it seemed, considering the lack of sufficient explanation, to expect the reader to already know how & why the things operated the way the did in the book. There wasn't really a lot of world-building or a chronicled chain of events leading to the present society. There was sufficient annotations, just no definitive overview.

I'm hoping this book will be revised before it hits shelves in June, but I'm not so sure. Has anyone else had the same reaction as me? Am I just expecting too much from the story?

0 comments:

Post a Comment